During the islands Venetian period, (1489-1571) Parekkisia continued to thrive as did the nearby villages of Pyrgos, Kellaki and Eptagonia as the port at Amathus was used for export. During the first part of the 19th century, many people who had been living in the mountains, left in searching of good agricultural land and many moved to Parekklisia. Since then, the village has become very well known for its salad produce in particular tomatoes and there are plenty of large greenhouses on the outskirts of the village.
Modern day Parekklisia is a popular place to live with 2,000 residents, many of whom commute to Limassol town. The Municipality does include 950 metres of the Limassol coastline with a Blue Flag beach. There are several sports facilities in the village including a football stadium, Vikla Golf Course firing range and gliding facilities using one particular hill. The Santa Marina Retreat offers a variety of sporting facilities for families and corporate events including horse riding, wall climbing and archery and incorporates the Elias Stud Farm that is the largest on the island and has bred many winning racehorses.
In 2001, a winery was established on the northern fringes of the village. Its owner, Theodoros Hadjiantonas wanted to follow in the footsteps of his grandfather who had made wine in the village of Pera Pedhi. The winery offers guided tours and wine tastings, has beautiful conference facilities, and is a popular venue for weddings and baptisms.
The village of Parekklisia is situated east of Limassol and is a perfect place to visit if you are on your Cyprus Holiday there. It is also close to the archaeological ruins of Ancient Amathus. The village lies amongst gently rolling countryside and its history can be traced back 7,500 years, making it the most ancient settlement in the Middle East. French archaeologists have unearthed evidence of a Neolithic civilization there.
Amongst their many discoveries was a symbol of a cat placed next to a young mans skeleton and this strongly supports their case that the cat was first developed as a domestic pet in Parekklisia and not by the Pharaohs in Ancient Egypt.
Parekklisia thrived during the Roman period because of its close proximity to Ancient Amathus, which lies just five kilometres away, and evidence of a port dating from this time has been discovered at the coast.
The villages beautiful Byzantine church of Timios Stavros (the Church of the Holy Cross) was built in the 12-13th century and is cruciform in shape with a central dome and the inside of the dome is a covered with frescoes. It is believed that the villages name is linked to the building of Timios Stavros because in Greek it means next to the church. The second church in the village is dedicated to Archangelos Mikhail (the Archangel Michael) and was built on the foundations of an older, 17th century church.